General Advice - OE Travel Blogs Top 10
1) Make sure you tell someone where you are going and your expected return date. Leave copies of your itinerary, passport and other important information with family or friends before you depart.
2) Register your travel details with your local foreign affairs office before heading overseas. *Very important, so many people aren't aware of this*
Click on the following links to register:
New Zealanders heading overseas
Austrailans heading overseas
South Africans heading overseas
British Citizens heading overseas
Canadians heading overseas
U.S. Citizens heading overseas
Non U.S citizens planning to visit America need to register online prior to arriving. Click here to register - visiting America form.
3) If traveling with a companion, put one set of your clothes in your companion's suit case and have them do like wise with yours. If one suit case is lost then you will still have something to wear. If traveling alone keep a spare set of clothes in your carry on bag just incase!
4) Remember to carry a small First Aid Kit, with panadol/aspirin etc. A small Sewing Kit can be handy as well.
5) Know your Blood type and make sure you have proper Vaccines (if any needed) before arriving to your chosen destination. IE: If travelling to Africa you'll need to have certain injections such as Yellow fever and take Maleria tablets. For more information contact your local GP. The following site Fit for Travel is very helpful.
6) Travel Insurance, it goes without saying but make sure you have travel insurance before travelling abroad. Here's some things to look out for when choosing a travel insurance policy **Medical and health cover for an injury or sudden illness abroad. Personal liability cover in case you’re sued for causing injury or damaging property. Lost and stolen possessions cover. Cancellation and curtailment (cutting short your trip) cover** The policy should cover you for the whole time you’re away. Do your research and don't go for the cheapest option first, I'd recommend annual travel insurance cover (this will cover all your travel within a year) instead of single trip cover.
7) Be aware of increased security measures when travelling to US, UK and European airports. All liquids in your hand baggage must be under 100ml's and kept packed in one clear quart-sized Zip-lock bag. Click on the following link for more Hand Baggage Information.
8) Make sure you have applied for the appropriate visas (if any needed) before booking flights and travelling abroad.
9) Make sure you have credit loaded on your mobile phone in case of emergencies. If your going to be staying in the country longer then 1month look to buy a local sim card for your mobile, this will be more cost effective.
10) Enroll for frequent flyer miles, see the write up below for information about frequent flyer miles and the different airlines that offer air miles. Everybody loves something for free!
The Travel Vaccination booklet is a small yellow passport size document, these are used to record what Vaccinations you receive. Vaccinations like Yellow fever, Typhoid, Hep A & B etc. Make sure you check with your doctor for what immunizations you will need before you Travel. Don’t leave this until the last minute, some shots are a course of three and have to taken some time apart. Ideally, go to the doctor 6-8 weeks before departure. Many immunizations are valid for some years and you may only need boosters.
Food & Water Precautions
Travelers can reduce the risk of infection by using the following precautions:
Frequent Flyer Miles/Rewards Info
OE TRAVEL BLOGS would strongly recommend enrolling to get frequent flyer miles when you fly. Most airlines offer reward programmes and most are free to sign up to. Flying from New Zealand to the UK and back can earn you around 24,000miles. Those miles can be redeemed towards another flight (in some cases a free flight) or online gifts. Kris Flyer offers a free Round-trip Economy Ticket from Auckland to Brisbane for 25000 miles. Frequent flyer miles differ, for instance Qantas frequent flyer miles never expire and they are part of Oneworld (meaning you can redeem on partner flights like British Airways and vice versa) Please see the following links for some good Frequent flyer programmes.
Low Cost Airlines In Europe
There are quite a few low cost airlines that fly to all the major citys around Europe, if your based in London then you have 3 airports to choose from. Flights from Heathrow airport, Gatwick airport and Stanstead airport. Here's a few links to some low cost airlines.
Or you could use sky scanner to search airlines & find the cheapest flights.
Google Website Search
Use the custom search engine to find an article/review, IE: Brisbane city. Use keywords to search the content of our site.
Connect with us!
Become a Fan on Facebook
Volunteering is a great way to see the world, to meet others or just to have fun. When it comes to volunteering you have a number of organisations to choose from. OE Travel Blogs would advise doing your research first. Think about what interests you, what commitments you’re willing to make, and ask questions or speak to other volunteers to get a feel for it. Volunteering can be a great way to help out communities and experiencing new things.
See our Volunteering section to read blogs from travellers who have volunteered around the world.
OE Travel Blogs supports a number of volunteering programmes, email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "Volunteering" for more information.
OE Travel Blogs offers objective feedback and holiday advice based on our own and guest post experiences. As such we can't take responsibility for any experience that you may have should it differ from our own.
Feedback is always gratefully received and can ensure that our site provides current and up to date advice on places around the world. A simple thought shared can help build on the sites content for all who love to travel and help others to experience that unforgettable and long lasting memory.
Travel Reviews, Travel Blogs, Holiday Advice, Travel Forums, Travel Shop, Travel Companions, Travel Advice, Europe Festivals
OE Travel Blogs offers a travel link exchange programme, if you'd like to have your company listed within our travel resource section please email email@example.com with subject line "Travel Link exchange"
Recommend Travel Websites:
Other Travel Advice Links
Green Travel Tips - Eco Travellers
Here's some helpful tips to become an eco traveller.
What to pack when backpacking
So, you’re heading overseas on an amazing backpacking adventure and you need to fit your life into a 80 litre backpack or maybe less? No doubt you’re probably asking yourself, how the hell will I do that?
What to pack depends on where in the world you’re going and when. For example if you’re backpacking through Europe during Jan-March then you’ll need to pack the winter woollies. So establish what time of year and check the weather conditions, it’s still advisable to take a jumper and jacket even if you’re travelling in the summer months.
Remember you will carry your backpack around so it’s essential to pack as lightly as possible; the last thing you want is an over-sized heavy washing machine on your back and you’ll need room for the things you pick up along the way.
Click on the following link to see our guide and tips re: what to pack when backpacking.
Advertising on OE Travel Blogs
OE Travel Blogs offers great advertising opportunities for companies operating in the travel and associated markets. OE Travel Blogs visitors tend to be (OE) overseas experience/gap year travellers, backpackers, independent travellers, couple & group travellers, photographers and blogging enthusiasts. Launched in June 2011, OE Travel Blogs has become a trusted and authoritative source of independent travel information for destinations in more than 50 countries.
Audience Demographics: Based on internet averages, OE Travel Blogs is visited frequently by users from all over the world and between the age ranges 25-34 and 35-44. We have hundreds of followers on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube and a PR2 google rank.
To advertise or more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "Advertising"